$59Cleaning, Exam
& Digital X-Rays
CLICK HERE FOR MORE PROMOTIONS
Office: 936-321-1477
Mobile: 936-446-6744 Call or Text

The Importance of Flossing Every Single Day

Oral hygiene may not be something you think about when considering your overall health, but the health of your teeth and gums is essential. Not only will it keep your smile bright and white, but it can also affect your general health as well. Consider the following 3 reasons to floss every day.  

3 Reasons You Should Never Skip Out on Flossing

Flossing may not be as easy as brushing your teeth, but it’s actually more important. Brushing alone only reaches about 60% of your mouth. The other 40% is between your teeth and below and at your gumline. Neglecting this part of your mouth can have serious consequences.

1) Bad Breath (Halitosis)

Leaving about 40% the area in your mouth uncleaned leaves bits of food to decay between your teeth. These decaying particles of food eventually will lead to bad breath. Flossing removes all particles of food from between your teeth which helps prevent Halitosis or bad breath.

2) Tooth Decay, Tooth Loss & Gum Disease

Failure to remove the food from between your teeth also has other consequences beyond bad breath. It can lead to tooth decay between your teeth, inflammation of your gums, and a host of bad bacteria living in your mouth. If left unchecked, this will lead to gum disease and you may even lose a tooth. Known as periodontal disease, it usually starts with bad breath and bleeding gums.

3) Systemic Disease

Periodontal disease is caused by bacteria left in your mouth. This bacteria can also enter your bloodstream and travel to other places such as your heart and respiratory system, causing other complications. Periodontal disease may also increase your chances for other diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and more. Keeping a clean mouth goes a lot further than simply having a nice smile.

Make Flossing a Daily Habit

Your best defense against bad breath and disease is to brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss every day. When you brush your teeth, make sure to brush for 2 minutes. Floss between all your teeth, sliding the floss up and down to just under your gums on both sides each time. This will remove particles of food and bacteria from the places they try to hide in your mouth.

Learn More

Oral hygiene not only affects the health of your teeth and gums but can have serious ramifications for your overall general health as well. Brushing your teeth at least twice a day along with daily flossing between professional cleanings is essential. Give yourself the best chance for better health by flossing every single day.

To learn more about the link between periodontal disease and systemic disease or to schedule an appointment, Contact Us.

Schedule